8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: should i go atari?
Author: Damion P Jones (user213040024152.dial.netline.net.uk)
Date:   08-18-2000 13:02

Personnaly, I think that is a question you can only ask yourself, and even then, only once you have tried some ( Or all ) the others.

No doubt, if you are into serious graphics, and processing power, then I would say PC or MAC, but then you are also considering a Milan2, so then you have a third serious contender.

With Music, the simple ST is very much up there already, and you wont have to splash out so much on the initial costs.

You have to consider many things with the PC and MAC, that you have no ned to with the Atari or its Clones, in that the Hard Drives will last far,far, far longer on the Atari than with a mac, and even longer than with a PC!

Why can I say this? - well, a PC accesses the disk with up to 8 reads, and 2 writes every time you click on anything, and also it uses Virtual Memory very badly, ( Although reliably it has to said ), and so, this wares the disk down seriously badly.

Also to be honest, because of the way Windows works, you will need a seriously powerful PC to compare with the Milan, because with the Milan, it does not have to wade through tons of code to do anything, like a PC does, so, I would say, that my Milan, is the same in terms of Power as my fathers Athlon 800, so why get a PC?

I would say that the Mac is a half-way machine between Atari and PC, in that you still get some of the hassles of a PC ( Although not much ), and the Mac being a Mac, has just as much software choice as a PC, but its as hard to get as Atari Software is ( At least it is for me! )

In my honest opinion then, even though I have just said a load of cack, I would suggest that you see about trying the same software on each machine. CuBase VST for example, and failing that, consider the Milan first, but fall back on the idea of a MAC. I would NEVER suggest a PC for Music, as I find it to be bad when it comes to Syncing IT with more than a couple of Synths, while both the MAC and especially the Atari's seem to work in perfect harmony with anything I connect to it, and it to! ( Not that I am a pro musician, just wastefull )

Topics Author  Date
  should i go atari? new mesh 08-17-2000 21:05 
   RE: should i go atari? new Marko 08-18-2000 03:08 
   RE: should i go atari? new reddish 08-18-2000 08:35 
    RE: should i go atari? new Havoc 08-18-2000 12:42 
    RE: should i go atari? new David Barkin 08-19-2000 03:59 
    RE: Milan II new Bruce Donahue 08-20-2000 10:27 
     RE: Milan II new elliot 08-20-2000 23:04 
     RE: Milan II new elliot 08-20-2000 23:09 
   RE: should i go atari?  Damion P Jones 08-18-2000 13:02 
   RE: should i go atari? new Bruce Donahue 08-20-2000 11:27 
    RE: should i go atari? new David Barkin 08-21-2000 10:03