8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: internet
Author: Damion P Jones (user213040025008.dial.netline.net.uk)
Date:   08-21-2000 10:35

Oh hell yes, the ST / STe is very capable of (ab)using the WEB.

A few things to note though, is that you need to get the STE setup as best you possibly can - i.e as much memory as poss, HardDisk, even try to improve the speed a tad, although the ST's speed is still surprisingly enough, as you will find, that the internet is slower than you'd think!

erm, one vital thing you need to do, is upgrade your serial port. as-is its just simply crap! - HSModem is the best PD software you can get.

As for the actual internet accessing software, then the FaST Club do a WWW Access pack, which has all the stuff you would need to accessing it, such as CAB ( The Netscape style browser ), Mailing, FTP, cahing utils etc... Pretty much everything to get you going. Its older versions of software, but you can get the newer versions from Application Systems Heidelberg, or System Solutions. that way your web pages will at least be displayed a lot better, if nothing else!?

Dont expect to have flashy high-end computer type screens as it just wont happen, but ST High, is very good for the internet ( It surprised me anyway! )

What else? - Oh, a modem might help.

As for sites, I dont actually know of any? are Zetnet still going? I think compuserve may be an option still, but that is doubtfull, or you might want to try Demon

Obviously, the best person to answer this one, is someone, who has actually gone through the process of getting their ST or STE onto the Internet, and that is NOT me I am afraid. The last time my ST was on the NET, there was no such thing, and it was BBS's all the time. I dont know if there are any still going, but if you want, I can send you a list of more than 10000 different BBS's numbers ( Not adviseable, as youre phone bill will be more than your house before you find one that works ).

Topics Author  Date
  internet new wizpop 08-18-2000 07:48 
   RE: internet new David Barkin 08-18-2000 07:58 
    RE: internet new wizpop 08-27-2000 12:56 
   RE: internet new Steve Stupple 08-19-2000 02:18 
    RE: internet new wizpop 08-27-2000 12:56 
   RE: internet  Damion P Jones 08-21-2000 10:35 
    RE: internet new wizpop 08-27-2000 12:55 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject: