8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: recover data from partially formatted floppy :
Author: Steve Stupple (steverosie.demon.co.uk)
Date:   01-20-2001 23:58

Hi

What a bummer! I've done this myself to my work disk (pre-hard drive days), not realising drive B wasn't formatting.

Well the good news is that some of your data will still be on the disk, the bad news is that it sounds like it formatting the disk from track 0 (or 1 if you prefer). This would have erased all the fat tables and the root directory of the drive.

But there's hope, if the files are ina directory AND the disk wasn't badly fragmented AND they were to the badck of the disk, you may be able to find the directory and it's structure should be intact - giving you the start cluster of the files.

Now if you formatted the disk via the desktop then the display gives you and idea of the total process, and could be more formatted than you think.

By the way this IS one of the worse case scenarious to recover data. You will need soemthing like Knife ST to recreate the files, if it can.

Topics Author  Date
  recover data from partially formatted floppy :( new Marty Landman 01-18-2001 13:33 
   RE: recover data from partially formatted floppy : new Arnout de Vries 01-18-2001 22:47 
   RE: recover data from partially formatted floppy :  Steve Stupple 01-20-2001 23:58 
    RE: recover data from partially formatted floppy : new Flash 01-21-2001 12:18 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___ 
| '_ \/ _ \ '_|  _|  _/ _ \ | / _ \
| .__/\___/_|  \__|_| \___/_|_\___/
|_|                                

Copyright © 1997-2024 Atari.Org 
Atari is registered trademark of Infogrames