16/32-Bit

8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: 520 stfm single density drive?
Author: Flash (port270.cvx2-sto.ppp.netlink.se)
Date:   02-27-2001 15:39

Hi. Your STFM handles DD drives without any modifications.

All STFM´s I´ve seen, had DD drive inside, so I guess someone musta changed your?

You could rip out a 1.44MB drive from some old pese, and connect it directly into your STFM, I´ve done that lotsa times, without problems. But it will only read DD disks, at first... Have a look at the FDC (Floppy Drive Controller), it´s a big chip on the motherboard, marked "WD1772". If it has the figures "02-02", then it can easily be modified to work in 1.44MB mode, as well. Then email me, and I´ll send the description how to do it. It´s no big operation, I did it to a STE today, took 12 minutes, and worked perfect. (also done it to some STFM´s) You gonna need a li´l patch program, to change the drive´s steprate, I´ll send it along... :)

Memory upgrade on a STFM is a bit more complicated, and means alot of soldering, since the RAM chips are soldered to the motherboard... I´ve seen some people actually destroying their ST´s in their attempts to get these chips off the motherboard, so if you´re a beginner, let some1 with long experience from electronics, do it. All there is to it; replace those old 256K chips with 512K or 1MB chips, and change the (soldered) jumpers on the motherboard, to fit to the new RAM size.

Have fun
/Flash/

Topics Author  Date
  520 stfm single density drive? new Anthony 02-27-2001 01:59 
   RE: 520 stfm single density drive?  Flash 02-27-2001 15:39 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___