Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: Newbie question on atari falcon
Author: shalroth (wwwcache-a.lmu.ac.uk)
Date:   05-16-2001 11:51

Congratulations on buying a falcon :) Mine should arrive sometime next week...
Really, Cubase Audio 16 is the best D2D solution on the falcon. There are some fine alternatives though - Clarity 16 from HiSoft in the UK is excellent, although not really intended for sequencing. MusiCom is also very good. I'm sorry these programs aren't in german (It's karma - all the software I have for my TT runs in german because I have german TOS chips, so it's payback time) but it's easy to follow - resolution is aufloesung, file is datei USW. Try www.system-solutions.co.uk, www.hisoft.co.uk and The Atari Workshop (from system solutions page) have copies of the music software I've mentioned. I also may be able to help you out with an 'evaluation' version of cubase at some point.

A great place for software is the Crawly Crypt archive. It's all free - Public domain, Shareware and demo versions. The link is: HTTP://WWW.SpyThis.COM/CCA/Dir.HTML
HENSA also used to be a great FTP site for atari software (HTTP://Micros.Hensa.ac.uk) but it's no longer at that address, and when you find it, it's not updated often.

For serious software, you'll do well with Application Systems Heidelburg at www.application-systems.de - they have web browsers, spreadsheets and the multitasking OS MagiC for sale, and they're mostly in german. The excellent DTP package Calamus now has a free version available at www.calamus.net.

If you want to see just what the falcon is capable of, take a visit to the Dead Hackers Society page at www.DHS.nu; they have graphic and music demos that show off the hardware. They also have some utils like art programs, musc trackers etc. They also have modules for Whip!, an audio-to-video program that can be used for realtime effects (I plan to use mine in a nightclub, or at least try and break it with Fear Factory and Therion)

If you want to find out about other Atari systems, try my friend Curt Vendel's pages at www.Atari-History.com. There's no software, but a hell of a lot of info and images, along with internal Atari documents and prototype infos.

Enjoy your falcon. I'm surprised an Atari newbie would buy an old piece of kit like that, but I'm pleased you have :) There have been some great games for the falcon too, but they're hard to find. Bear in mind you'll need some kind of hard disc for most of your software, certainly at least 4MB of RAM.

Need more help, just mail me.

Topics Author  Date
  Newbie question on atari falcon new Heiko Irrgang 05-15-2001 21:51 
   RE: Newbie question on atari falcon new Joshua Kaijankoski 05-15-2001 22:16 
   RE: Newbie question on atari falcon  shalroth 05-16-2001 11:51 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___