Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: Mega STE config
Author: Jan Thomas (213.208.70.155)
Date:   07-17-2001 18:30

>Hi Jan !

>There is a CPX to desable or not the memory cache and to set the CPU speed.

Does the change survive resets? I have got a program that runs from gem that allows you to see the current mode, and then change it, though it still puzzles me that my Mste boots up in 8mhz no cache mode by default. Its actually a bonus because most games I have will boot from the floppy bootsector, so you dont have a chance to change the operating speed before booting the game. I thought that this may be changeable with a dip setting.

>What do you call "the new bits that nobody knew what they were for" ?

The 520/1040 STE hardware. The british computer journos at the time were very good at guessing things, but were quite inaccurate a lot of the time. I remember STFormat issue4 it was the STE inside scoop. It was the first Atari mag I bought, and I had never even heard of an Atari ST, never mind own one, I just bought the mag cos I needed a floppy for my colledge work! That magazine changed my life :) I bought a 520 STE discovery pack as soon as it came out. (for the first two months it was the same price as the STFM). I was intrigued by the new joystick ports, and I built a light pen, wrote a program in GFA basic to display the light pen coordinates on the screen. It was difficult because there was no information on the new hardware.

>What do you mean by "microwire anyone?" ?

We know now that the microwire is the control for bass/treble etc if I remember correctly, and that it didnt exist pre-STE.

>If you are looking for a way to program STE sound chips, I could help you a bit. I made some C functions some years ago to drive 8

Actually that might be very helpful, as I am involved in writing the music for a new Falcon game, and havent decided yet what system to use (DMA samples, PG soundchip, DSP etc).

Regards,
Jan.

Topics Author  Date
  Mega STE config new Jan Thomas 07-14-2001 00:25 
   RE: Mega STE config new shalroth 07-16-2001 11:14 
    RE: Mega STE config new Jan Thomas 07-16-2001 11:36 
     RE: Mega STE config new LaTeX 07-16-2001 13:03 
      RE: Mega STE config new Jan Thomas 07-16-2001 13:25 
       RE: Mega STE config new LaTeX 07-17-2001 12:50 
        RE: Mega STE config  Jan Thomas 07-17-2001 18:30 
         RE: Mega STE config new LaTeX 07-18-2001 14:10 
      RE: Mega STE config new shalroth 07-18-2001 15:24