16/32-Bit

8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE?
Author: Fat Rakoon (host62-7-20-4.btinternet.com)
Date:   08-28-2001 19:39

Hang on, I have actually answered you on this... Perhaps something went astray?

I will try it again though...

Ok, yes, I know 4.0 is different to 4.0. I was hoping it would be faster, or more reliable, or something, but for it to be double the size, was a bit of a let down to me.

The differences are all internal of course, I can accept that, but as it is, I didnt see any real pluses.

Yes, I renamed MINT.PRG to a few different names using each combination with the "N" and "P" and without of course, and using a Dash "-" and UnderScore "_" just in case, but there was no difference in reliability or compatibility! - the programs that crashed, all crashed in the same way, at the same time.

I seriously think this is down to my TT being a turd again. I always have some issue with the TT that is NOT what we would call "The Norm".

I think thats also caused by the stupid upgrades I keep trying out more than anything

Anyway, what would you suggest I call MINT.PRG ? Is there any particular program that MUST be before, or after MINT.PRG?

AS things are, I am putting it as close to last as I can, and any program that clearly MUST be after MINT.PRG ... ARE!

Erm, why am I trying MiNT, when Magic is obviously better for me?

Well, in honesty, I cannot answer this one?

Why does a dog lick its balls? because it can

I suppose though, I look at my TT running Magic, its quite simply the best Atari in the world, no one on the planet has a better atari than mine.

But, then, I see other peoples machines, and see them running this or that, and I realise that I am jealous, maybe not jealous, but definitely envyous, and they are always running MiNT.

Now, given that I love Linux on my PC's, and with MiNT being so close in more ways than one, then surely on the Atari, MiNT is the way forwards perhaps?

I dont know?

I want so much to really give MiNT a go, I have setup a few "experimentals" on the TT, but NO WAY IN HELL is MiNT ANYWHERE near as fast as Magic, and I stick to my original arguement that it is in fact less than half the speed, however, speed does not compare with power, and although Magic gives me 99% TOS compatibilty, and VFAT filenames and such, its still a bit of a twat when it comes to networking ( Although I have a near perfect network with it connected to Mandrake Linux on the AMD 400 - thanks to bedrolls site ) It still misses something that Linux, and of course MiNT will allow.

Oh, look I am starting to gag on a bit now.

I am wanting to try out MiNT on the ST, so I can experiment a lot further with the filesystems, than I am willing to risk on the TT, I have a minix, and an ext2 ( Both 100MB ) on the TT, but I have set aside a few whole HD's on the STE and I dont care whether they get wiped or not, when the TT has lots of important stuff on, and I dont want to risk pressing a 1 instead of a 2 or sda instead of sdb or something.

See what I mean?

YES?

Good, can you explain to me?

Topics Author  Date
  Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Fat Rakoon 08-26-2001 14:01 
   RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new The Paranoid 08-27-2001 13:03 
    RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE?  Fat Rakoon 08-28-2001 19:39 
     RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Shalroth 08-29-2001 12:38 
      RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Fat Rakoon 08-29-2001 19:27 
       RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Shalroth 08-30-2001 17:14 
        RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Fat Rakoon 08-30-2001 19:26 
        RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Elliot 08-30-2001 20:31 
         RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Shalroth 08-31-2001 10:53 
          RE: Help getting the best MiNT Setup on STE? new Adrian 09-07-2001 09:51 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___ 
| '_ \/ _ \ '_|  _|  _/ _ \ | / _ \
| .__/\___/_|  \__|_| \___/_|_\___/
|_|                                

Copyright © 1997-2024 Atari.Org 
Atari is registered trademark of Infogrames