16/32-Bit

8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: Thanx - but what do you think of it?
Author: trophy (netia-ce1.inetia.pl)
Date:   09-07-2001 15:23

Hi,

Thanx a lot. I didn't know that HDDRIVER.SYS shoud be located in the root directory. Probably it would be the case of my problem but there is also a different one - let's say 'hardware' one.

As I said my Falcon is placed in tower box and is a little bit tuned. The original cables for 2.5" SCSI drives are replaces with these wide ones for 3.5" (like in PC). You cannot disconnect them from the mainboard beacuse it is 'hard-connected' by someone's soldered iron. So, even after I disconnect my broken SCSI drive there is still not used SCSI cable connected to the controller on the mainboard.

IDE drive is connected to the mainboard via special adapter (for 3.5" drives). Everything was working 100% good as long as the SCSI drive was installed. Probably everything would be working good with the bootable SCSI drive and IDE as a second drive, but SCSI is dead.

Is it possible that I cannot boot up from IDE HDD (with HDDRIVER.SYS installed in the root directory) because this SCSI cable is still connected to the mainboard. I read that during boot up Atari tries to find first bootable device and then goes on with it. If you don't put bootable disk into FDD and you have bootable SCSI HDD it will starts with SCSI. In my situation it looks like this (for me):

1). When I turn my Falcon it is trying to find the bootable device - there is no disk in FDD (let's say that I didn't put it into FDD), there is a SCSI drive because something is connected to the controller onto mainboard - OK - the machine is trying to boot up - FAILURE - the first bootable device (because SCSI is proior to IDE) is wrong and we're just in plain TOS. The Falcon interrupted searching for bootable devices because of these cables.

2.) When I put the HDDRIVER disk into FDD and turn on my Falcon he founds out that there is a bootable medium in the FDD and he interupted searching for other bootable devices. We're booting from FDD, the HDDRIVER (from AUTO folder) is loaded, HDDRIVER founds that there is no SCSI but there is one IDE HDD and he installs this device. Noe I can use my IDE HDD.

Is it possible? I'm not and expert in Falcon but this is only reason I can imagine, since I tried the way that Anders told me in the last post. I was 100% everything will be OK when I read his post and realized my fault (I was copying HDDRIVER to AUTO on C:). So I installed HDDRIVER.SYS using HDDRUTIL in the root, quit HDDRUTIL and reboot Falcon and... it didn't want to boot up from HDD.

If my 'imagination' is right there is only one way - I have to buy SCSI HDD.

What do you think of it?
TIA,
Paul (trophy)

Topics Author  Date
  HDDriver... new trophy 09-05-2001 12:04 
   RE: HDDriver... new Tito Teclado 09-05-2001 12:31 
   RE: HDDriver... new Chris Crosskey 09-05-2001 12:41 
   RE: HDDriver... new Anders Eriksson 09-05-2001 16:16 
    Thanx - but what do you think of it?  trophy 09-07-2001 15:23 
     RE: Thanx - but what do you think of it? new Anders Eriksson 09-09-2001 13:10 
      RE: Thanx - but what do you think of it? new The Paranoid 09-10-2001 11:02 
       RE: Thanx - but what do you think of it? new trophy 09-11-2001 16:42 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___ 
| '_ \/ _ \ '_|  _|  _/ _ \ | / _ \
| .__/\___/_|  \__|_| \___/_|_\___/
|_|                                

Copyright © 1997-2024 Atari.Org