16/32-Bit

8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: Mike Bouma article at Slashdot!?
Author: Evan Langlois (zeus.sabre.com)
Date:   07-03-2000 07:19

>The guy who posted the Neuss Messe news and Milan news etc has written a small >article about Amiga`s new OS.

The OS hasn't been released yet, the SDK has. New machines probably won't be released until after the OS has, which is scheduled for next year I believe.

>It appears that CNN, The New York Times and Gamersdepot.com have interviewed >Amiga!
>Amiga really seemed very busy the last half year.

Yes they have.

>I also done some researching. Amiga`s partner Tao group was founded by an Atari >ST and Amiga programmer!

Yup, and the Tao group is really what has started the new Amiga and its OS.

>What would you guys think about joining the Amiga effort? Are we still rivals or do we >want to see an non bloat system that beats the crap out of other systems?

Joining? In what way? Atari has nothing to do with it, other than they may release a version of their OS for the classic Amigas, but I doubt it would run on Atari machines anyway. You could buy a new Amiga machine, but that will be at least a year away.

The real problem I see with your post though, is the reason I got out of the Atari community altogether. Not every feature you don't use yourself is 'bloat', and more importantly, why don't you just be happy with your computer instead of always trying to "beat the crap" out of someone elses? For some people, 'color' is bloat. Now I will agree that much of MicroSoft products are bloated, but they target the software to the corporate user that may require some of those features, but mostly the corporate user that just wants it bloated cause the list of bloats looks good (and the fight simulator in excel is probably bloated).

The real bloat of any system is backwards compatibility though. Throw away TOS!

And someone else said the new Atari machines from .. I forget now .. with an 060 processor at "under $1000" would be faster than "state of the art" PCs and you could have multiple ones for the same price. PC pricing changes daily, and moves to a new pricing structure altogether about every 6 months. Will this new atari-clone be available then? My office mate just bought a decked-out AMD 750Mhz Athon machine for under $500. I consider state of the art machines to be quad-alpha or 8-way xeon systems, or an E10000 :) I have to wonder how AmigaOne is setting its pricing structure in order to compete with the cheap clones you can get at $299 or so.

In short .. if you like your computer use it, if you don't, trash it, but don't trash someone elses! Trying to "beat the crap" out of somebody else should be left to the corporations. Stop trying to find 'enemies'! Embrace not only the Amiga users, but Macs, x86 users, clones, ARM users, even people that use MicroSloth! Why? Cause everyone has something to contribute and something you can learn from. And everyone has there own needs and requirements of a computer. I dropped my STe a long time ago cause it was more expensive to upgrade than replace. Is this ICD ACSI->SCSI converter worth anything? Or the 16Mhz 68k upgrade (AdSpeed I think?) ?? I still have these somewhere next to the software boxes.

I enjoyed the STe with the 16Mhz upgrade and NVDI running MultiTOS. But I had to get rid of it. Its the same reason I killed the 800. Its the reason I got a new car - repairs were getting more than car payments on a 2000. Technology makes improvements now and then ya know :)

Myself, I'd like to see this new AmigaOS myself and what it offers, and see what sort of speed they really get from it. I'm interested in the technical knowledge they bring to the industry and the new ideas and new ways of thinking. And I know that POSIX compatibility is gonna be in there, so Gnome should port quite easily, and I'm betting alot of the first apps will be Gnome ports - like GIMP, along with a slew of classic amiga stuff. I'll always use Linux as my primary machine though - its the ideals that linux systems uphold - 'free software' has nothing to do with price.

Topics Author  Date
  Mike Bouma article at Slashdot!? new Mark 07-02-2000 23:50 
   RE: Mike Bouma article at Slashdot!? new Mark 07-02-2000 23:53 
   RE: Mike Bouma article at Slashdot!?  Evan Langlois 07-03-2000 07:19 
    Bloated code new Mark 07-03-2000 23:29 
     RE: Bloated code new Guess who... 07-04-2000 00:27 
      RE: Bloated code new David Barkin 07-04-2000 05:47 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?