16/32-Bit

8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN )
Author: FatRakoon (dsl82-163-46-19.as15444.net)
Date:   09-07-2007 16:33

Im nowhere near Nottingham Im sorry, but Id be happy to nab the spare off you for sure.

I have not touched a soldering iron for a while, but I will give you a run down on how Im going to be doing mine when I get it...

First, the original chip... Thats going to be binned isnt it, so, snip the legs off it, as close to the chip itself as you can... This will leave a load of little legs sticking out of the Falcon Motherboard.

Now, one by one, while holding the legs with a pair of tweezers / small pliers you should be able to quickly warm the leg up enough to melt the solder there, a clean pull through should make a hole, but if not, dont worry... Do this for all 24 legs.

Now, if any of the holes are sealed up with solder, Id suggest a small pin, again, held with tweezers or pliers and warm the pin up and jiggle it in teh hole so the hole is clean.

I dont suggest using any desoldering braid or such like as they can be messyif you dont know what you are doing... a Godo solder sucker might be useful, but again, these are only any real cop if you have applied too much solder, or the solder has blobbed up and we are not using any yet are we?

Anyway, get hold of a socket for the new chip and attach that to the board rather than the chip itself.

This way, if you mess somehtign up ( Solder 2 legs for example ) then it wont be too much trouble for you ( honest... he he ) to sort out.

In theory, its easy... It really is.

I have not touched a solering iron in a few years, and I have a wrecked arm and I have had to learn to use my weak arm for everything, but I still know what needs to be done and am happy to do it ( Id rather not of course )

I have a couple of old PCI LANCARDS here that have the exact size chip socket on them ( For bootable LAN Cards ) and I will be practising on those, but I know that I used to do a lot more complex stuff so Im not worried, just being careful.

If its any help for you, if you send me the chip, I will take a load of photos etc while I am doing the job and I will be more than happy to give you a copy of them all.

I fell that such a thing has not been done anyway, so I do fancy giving somethign to teh Atari community, since I have done bugger all for it for some years now.

Anyway, EMail me and we can sort out addresses etc...

me (AT) fatrakoon (DOT) co (DOT) uk

Topics Author  Date
  Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new FatRakoon 09-07-2007 12:56 
   RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new Christos 09-07-2007 14:27 
    RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new FatRakoon 09-07-2007 15:46 
    RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new FatRakoon 09-07-2007 16:17 
     RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new Muphex 09-07-2007 16:21 
      RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new ToasT 09-08-2007 22:07 
       RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) (OT) new Peter 09-09-2007 11:23 
        RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) (OT) new ToasT 09-09-2007 19:02 
       RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new FatRakoon 09-10-2007 16:15 
   RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN ) new Muphex 09-07-2007 16:17 
    RE: Replacement Falcon Battery/Chip ( AGAIN )  FatRakoon 09-07-2007 16:33 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___ 
| '_ \/ _ \ '_|  _|  _/ _ \ | / _ \
| .__/\___/_|  \__|_| \___/_|_\___/
|_|