8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: Make it !!
Author: Mill (ppp-13-59.20-151.libero.it)
Date:   10-07-2001 00:56

Ok Scott.
By the truth I did not understand what you are trying to do, but I will suppose you have a ST 520 without TOS in ROM, as well as I will suppose that the "different versions of TOS" are simply the files TOS.IMG saved somewhere and, finally, that you have no possibility to access any other ST computer (remember that I supposed that your 520 ST has no ROMs and then you can actually use it no way, unless you have a bootstrap disk - and you haven't, right?).
Well, let's start operations from an IBM/DOS computer.

First step, check if your external disk drive (it MUST be external if you have a 520 ST without ROMs) reads Double Sided disks (720 KB formatted). If it reads only Single Sided disks, I cannot guarantee the results, due to the compatibility with ST emulators (anyway, you can't do anything else).

Second step, check if STEEM is an ST emulator and if it can read disk image files of real ST disks (PaCifiST does).

Third step, jump to my site (www.geocities.com/lovpopa) and download the file MBD.PRG in the "ST world" section. It is a small program I wrote mainly for you that produces executable boot sectors onto disks.

Fourth step, copy MBD.PRG to a real ST disk and run the program which converts real ST disks into readable disk "images". You have to convert both the disk containing MBD.PRG and the disk containing the TOS.IMG file.

Fifth, run your emulator and "place" the disk images into the virtual drives of the virtual GEM desktop (image containing MBD.PRG in drive A: and TOS.IMG in drive B:).

Sixth, run my program (MDB.PRG) from drive A: and choose the proper options.

Seventh, copy your favourite file TOS.IMG from drive B: to drive A: and, finally (at last!), re-convert the virtual ST disk image into a real ST disk.

The disk you need is ready! Place it into the real ST drive and switch the computer on.

HTH
Mill

Topics Author  Date
  Makedisk... new Scott Casiotone 10-05-2001 09:56 
   RE: Makedisk... new Anders Eriksson 10-05-2001 11:59 
   RE: Makedisk... new Mill 10-05-2001 13:00 
    RE: Makedisk... new Scott Casiotone 10-06-2001 00:36 
     RE: Makedisk... new atarimusicfan 10-06-2001 05:40 
     Make it !!  Mill 10-07-2001 00:56 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email: