8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: USB Floppy drive
Author: Miggy (cache8-renf.server.ntli.net)
Date:   01-23-2004 21:49

Cool

I would have expected a Mac to read 'standard' gem desktop formatted disks, as from Tos 1.42 onward the desktop formats MS-Dos compatible.

Before that it was only minor differences which stopped the format being recognised as such, and there were formatting programs to get round this. I used to use ST standard disks fine on a mac at college (ten years ago). I still have the 525 converted 'eep' etc. Anyway back to the point

The problem is I have one of these Ghastly PC monsters (Cheap) and they HATE anything which is not standard MS-Dos formatted.

So if you want to read Extended fomat ST disks, or Amiga Disks or Mac disks or other foreign formats you've had it.

This is why I was querying whether the USB drives avoided emulating the PC's drive electronics and instead were able to properly access all the functions they should be able to.

Afterall the above mentioned computers (although having different chips to access them) have drives which are basically the same(ok the mac had a nice eject system), so you should be able to write software on ANY computer to support ANY format.

The fact I knew USB drives were to be used not just on PCs gave me some hope this would be the case.

It would be great if Makedisk, disk2fdi, and other disk imaging programs could do what their name suggests and perfectly read a copy of the disks surface 'Image'. This would mean the likes of 'Dual format' disks could be read without fear of loosing something in the coversion to an Image file.

The docs with DISK2FDI better explain this, but although this program claims to be able to read extended format ST disks on a PC using two drives, one with an MS-Dos disk the other with the foreign disk, The method didn't work for me. (Believe me I tried, I almost went into a coma waiting :-) )

Has anyone managed to read an extended format ST disk or amiga disk with a USB drive?

God I need to take more Omega 3 & less coffee.

Topics Author  Date
  USB Floppy drive new Miggy 01-14-2004 01:39 
   RE: USB Floppy drive new apostle 01-23-2004 05:12 
    RE: USB Floppy drive  Miggy 01-23-2004 21:49 
     RE: USB Floppy drive new havoc 01-23-2004 23:57 
      RE: USB Floppy drive new apostle 01-25-2004 16:58 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _