8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: USB Floppy drive
Author: apostle (24.229.179.219.cmts.mlf.ptd.net)
Date:   01-25-2004 16:58

I haven't been able to read extended Atari disks on my Mac. Mac OS 9 and 10 both crash (the entire OS goes down) when trying to read the disks. I have the same problem trying to read them under Virtual PC running Windows 98 SE.

I spent about a week trying to work this out and the only solution was the obvious one. Copy all of the information over to the 726,016 disks using a real Atari and then copy them to my Mac. I'm still hoping for a better solution.

I wrote to Dan Wilga at Gribnif Software (NeoDesk, Geneva) and received this response:

'Macs are notoriously picky about which PC formats they will accept, so I'm not at all surprised it won't work with larger ones like this. I've also had them just crash outright (OS 7.5 and 7.6, IIRC).

Do you have access to a real PC or even a Unix box that you could network with the iMac? If so, then you could use it to mount the floppy, and then use File Sharing (PC) or NFS (Unix) to mount the disk under OS X. Of course, if you were going to do this, then it might just be easiest to mount each disk, copy the files to that (PC/Unix) machine's HD, and then copy everything to the Mac all at once.

Null-modem isn't an option, anyway, since I don't think iMacs have serial ports. You'd have to get one of those serial-to-USB things, which may or may not work with Macs. If you were able to find one that worked, though, you could use a regular RS-232 null modem cable, which is fairly easy to purchase pre-made. Then, you'd use ZModem to copy the files.'

----

Good Luck!

Topics Author  Date
  USB Floppy drive new Miggy 01-14-2004 01:39 
   RE: USB Floppy drive new apostle 01-23-2004 05:12 
    RE: USB Floppy drive new Miggy 01-23-2004 21:49 
     RE: USB Floppy drive new havoc 01-23-2004 23:57 
      RE: USB Floppy drive  apostle 01-25-2004 16:58 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject: