8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: Voice recognition in atari progs
Author: BJ (81-174-216-232.pth-as9.dial.plus.net)
Date:   08-19-2004 22:33

Voice recognition in atari progs

Hi
Recently , I've been experimenting with Dragon NaturallySpeaking v 7 on a PC for work (my typing skills are naff ). Then I thought , as you do at one o'clock in the morning :-) "I wonder if, nah it wouldn't work -- well i'll give it a go -- --". Well , I started up Gemulator the atari emulator and tried dictating directly into some programs. It works! -- sort of. First work plus works or intends to print everything in capitals, Everest works rather better, faster. Papyrus five demo works , and That's Write three works rather better. It works with Home Accounts 2 as well and you can move down through the entry boxes using the command "new line." Also in some programs the "return" command works. Some things didn't work so well and quitting programs to the Atari desktop may not work.

Response time in gemulator on an overloaded 800MHz PC was quite slow. So what the heck i tried it out on Steem as well. Strangely , it seems to work quite a bit better on Steem then on gemulator. I tried all the above programs , and the response was a bit better. Quitting back to the desktop , worked fine as well in Steem. Of course there are glitches; sentences seem to be typed in capitals (there may be a workaround) , and anything you say out loud when at the Atari desktop may be interpreted as a command -- "new folder" for example , works. I don't know what else works or doesn't work, these were my first attempts.

I don't know what possible use this is -- just a bit of fun really. Possibly could dictate directly into Monkey Island and other roleplaying games in Steem at work :-) that would be a new twist. Try this at your own risk if you get the chance, Make sure you back up your files and watch out for rogue commands on the Atari desktop when the microphone is on.

Regards , BJ

Topics Author  Date
  Voice recognition in atari progs  BJ 08-19-2004 22:33 
   RE: Voice recognition in atari progs new BJ 08-20-2004 13:29 
    RE: Voice recognition in atari progs new Prophet 08-23-2004 03:35 
   RE: Voice recognition in atari progs new BJ 09-11-2004 01:21 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _