8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: 2600 woody won't output anything but blk &
Author: Knightbaz (ACBF4D1D.ipt.aol.com)
Date:   03-08-2004 16:34

Wow, there little horsey!! Before you go complicating things and soldering ANYTHING to your Atari...

Firstly, I note you are in America (or using and American ISP) so you'll no doubt have an NTSC Atari, whereas in UK & Most of Europe we use PAL. That's just the way things are and means that we have more lines of information than American TV.

Unless things have very much changed in America, all you'll need is an RF (Radio Frequency) cable from the back of the Atari 2600 to the back of your TV. That's a 1 or 2meter long cable with a male RF plug on one end a coaxial RF plug on the other. Some gaming systems require the use of a modulator switch. That's an RF cable with a little box on it. What that little box does is allow you select the input type to the TV. Before it gets all technical, I mean Select A: for TV signal and Select B: for Games console. Simple huh!

Either a switch was switched, or a slide was slid!

Secondly, modern TV's WILL accept the old Atari consoles without ANY modification to either the Atari, TV or cabling in the UK & Europe, surely it's the same in the States? If not, then move to Europe! Our retro gaming would appear to be so much simpler ;-)

What this site REALLY needs is a comprehensive tech spec guide to the beginner and pro user of Atari's of all kinds! Someone up to the task out there?

That probably doesn't help you just now though, but I'd ask some American 2600 users before soldering anything inside the Atari doda-whatsit as you could come a cropper and end up with a nice paperweight!

:-(

I just fished my Atari 2600 out of the attic after 12yrs, plugged it in, attached it to a Sony TV (2yrs old) and up popped PacMan. Simplicist itself!

Topics Author  Date
  2600 woody won't output anything but blk & wht new marors1 02-23-2004 05:18 
   RE: 2600 woody won't output anything but blk & new Robyn Richards 03-01-2004 20:50 
    RE: 2600 woody won't output anything but blk & new marors1 03-07-2004 16:52 
     RE: 2600 woody won't output anything but blk &  Knightbaz 03-08-2004 16:34 
    RE: 2600 woody won't output anything but blk & new cobra429 04-28-2004 22:01 
   RE: 2600 woody won't output anything but blk & new cobra429 04-28-2004 22:09 
   RE: 2600 woody won't output anything but blk & new Marco 11-04-2007 16:21 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___ 
| '_ \/ _ \ '_|  _|  _/ _ \ | / _ \
| .__/\___/_|  \__|_| \___/_|_\___/
|_|                                

Copyright © 1997-2024 Atari.Org