16/32-Bit

8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: Wierd Atari MEGA-4 Things... questions inside..
Author: 82-T/A (199.227.24.2)
Date:   07-05-2000 04:13

I recently got in the mail a few days ago, my Atari MEGA-4 ST that I bought off eBay.
It came with a number of things that I was curious about.

As with any new electronic piece that I buy, I immediately take it apart, just to see whats going on inside.

In any case, I noticed that the Atari MEGA-4 had a "card slot" if you will... a card or daughter board was already installed. It has a 9 pin male socket protruding from the rear of the machine. I found loose.. a long red sticker inside the machine that said "Atari Viking Controller" the sticker was just loose as the adhesive backing had come undone. In any case, I looked at the various chips on this board, and I noticed some MT memory DRAMS and there is an open socket on the board as well. The socket looks exactly like the socket in which say.. a female 386 SX-16 mhz Math Co-Processor would fit into.. or say, an ASP chip on a Sound Blaster 16.

Any idea what this card is for?

In addition to this, I found some other interesting things. I found mixed in with all the various manuals that I got, a pamflet of some sort explaining how to verify whether or not "Rainbow TOS" had been properly installed. I am new to Atari machines.. but when I go to ABOUT Atari or whatever.. I see a rainbow Atari Fuji symbol....
Don't know what this means.. what is Rainbow TOS?

Also, I found on the hard drive that came with the machine a program called Large Monitor or something... I forgot what it's extension was... I think .TOS or .PRG.

Seeing this, and seeing the sticker saying Atari Viking Controller.. it makes me think it could possibly be a graphics card.

I have access to an older VGA monitor.. a Logitech SVGA monitor with a 9 pin cable.. is it possible that my Atari MEGA-4 has provisions for a better monitor?

Thanks!!

Todd

Topics Author  Date
  Wierd Atari MEGA-4 Things... questions inside..  82-T/A 07-05-2000 04:13 
   RE: Wierd Atari MEGA-4 Things... questions inside. new Anders Eriksson 07-05-2000 08:11 
    RE: Wierd Atari MEGA-4 Things... questions inside. new 82-T/A 07-05-2000 08:48 
   RE: Wierd Atari MEGA-4 Things... questions inside. new Daniel Pettersson 07-05-2000 08:28 
    RE: Wierd Atari MEGA-4 Things... questions inside. new 82-T/A 07-05-2000 08:49 
     RE: Wierd Atari MEGA-4 Things... questions inside. new Daniel Pettersson 07-05-2000 19:38 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your Email:
 Subject:
 Human verification:   What's this?
               _    __     _ _     
 _ __  ___ _ _| |_ / _|___| (_)___ 
| '_ \/ _ \ '_|  _|  _/ _ \ | / _ \
| .__/\___/_|  \__|_| \___/_|_\___/
|_|                                

Copyright © 1997-2024 Atari.Org 
Atari is registered trademark of Infogrames