8-Bits

Classics

Emulation

Jaguar

Lynx

Classic Consoles Forum 8-Bits Forum 16/32 Forum
Emulation Forum Jaguar Forum Lynx Forum

Subject: RE: MiNT on emulator
Author: Damion (dsl89-213-12-34.as15444.net)
Date:   08-29-2006 23:29

Ok, update on my post.

A short whiel ago, I was able to try out a newer version of MiNT... EasyMiNT as I said I would.

Now, I had some issues installing it, XaAES did not install properly, and I was left in a 40-column text mode at best.

I was not really too put off by it, I had a copy of my last setup, based on Mint 1.2 & NAES2 and I have one small admition, and that is, that as I was doing a lot of stuff by hand, the optimisations are... Well, poor!

It seems that I was mainly using MultiTOS rather than MiNT, even though I had NAES2 as the AES... Seems to be a complete sham of a setup!!

Anyway, I have that setup copied, and so, all I did, was edit the CNF File, and copied NAES2 folder over, and blow-me but it had 80 columns, and a mouse pointer!

Editting the NAES2 config I saw that it was trying to kickstart THING, so the Thing folder went over too, and F-Me pink, but there I had Thing running too! - well sweet.

Now, I have not paid for Thing, I much prefer Jinnee myself and I did try that, and it did go, but I had some issues such as it not havign enough windows and many other error codes, and so I changed it back to thing and I have to say, that I was playing about with it for quite some time, and I feel now, that the speed on MiNT has improved not just a little, but massively.

Its many many times quicker than before.

And its also a semi-setup...Erm, setup too! cos like I said, I had some issues installing it, so its not even correctly installed, but its still markedly quicker.

As for its speed against Magic, I am afraid its still not quicker, but at least its now really close behind it. In terms of power vs speed, then I have to agree, that MiNT is very much still supported while Magic isnt, the features of MiNT far outweigh Magic too!

And yes, Magic will run on a 512K ST while MiNT really needs a minimum of 8MB just to sit there and do nothing, but lets face it... MiNT you really should be using a Falcon, or preferably a TT or better.

A 16Mhz Falcon really is too slow, but 32Mhz gets you working at a sensible pace, while faster is the bees knees.

I still prefer Magic, but thats changing, so who knows what my decisions are in teh next few months??? - We shall see....

Topics Author  Date
  MiNT on emulator new DWhyte 01-28-2006 01:55 
   RE: MiNT on emulator new Francois LE COAT 01-28-2006 08:40 
   RE: MiNT on emulator new Damion 07-31-2006 05:14 
    RE: MiNT on emulator new Christos 07-31-2006 08:07 
     RE: MiNT on emulator new GokMasE 08-01-2006 13:12 
      RE: MiNT on emulator new Damion 08-10-2006 03:11 
       RE: MiNT on emulator new Christos 08-10-2006 11:25 
        RE: MiNT on emulator new GokMasE 08-10-2006 11:36 
        RE: MiNT on emulator  Damion 08-29-2006 23:29 
         RE: MiNT on emulator new Christos 08-30-2006 00:21 
          RE: MiNT on emulator new Anders Eriksson 09-02-2006 18:36